Taxpayers with expiring Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers should submit their renewal applications as soon as possible. Failing to renew them by the end of this year will cause refund and processing delays in 2019.
ITINs are used by people who have tax filing requirements under U.S. law but are not eligible for a Social Security number. The IRS mailed more than 1.3 million letters to taxpayer households that includes someone with an ITIN to remind them to renew. Here are details about whose ITINs are expiring and how someone renews their ITIN.
- ITINs that expire at the end of this year have middle digits 73, 74, 75,76, 77, 81 and 82 – for example: 9NN-73-NNNN
- Those who must renew their ITIN can choose to renew their family’s ITINs together, even if family members have an ITIN with middle digits other than 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 81 or 82. Family members include the tax filer, spouse and any dependents claimed on the tax return.
- Taxpayers with ITINs set to expire at the end of the year with a need to file a tax return in 2019 must submit a renewal application. Others do not need to take any action.
- Taxpayers whose ITINs expired due to lack of use should only renew their ITIN if they have a filing requirement in 2019.
- To renew an ITIN, taxpayers must complete a Form W-7 and submit all required documentation.
- Although a tax return is normally attached to the Form W-7, a taxpayer is not required to attach a return to ITIN renewal applications when renewing early.
- There are three ways to submit the W-7 application package. A taxpayer can:
- Mail the Form W-7, along with original identification documents or copies certified by the issuing agency, to the IRS address listed on the Form W-7 instructions.
- Work with Certifying Acceptance Agents authorized by the IRS to help them apply for an ITIN.
- Call and make an appointment at a designated IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center instead of mailing original identification documents to the IRS. When making an appointment, the taxpayer should let the telephone assistor know the visit involves an ITIN renewal application.